This is a selection of entries from the Wikipedia article Glossary of poker terms.
- bet The opening bet of a betting round.
- fold To discard one’s hand and forfeit interest in the current pot.
- walk A walk is a situation where all players fold to the big blind.
- laydown The choice to fold a strong hand in anticipation of superior opposition
- raise To raise is to increase the size of an existing bet in the same betting round.
- reraise, coming over the top Raise after one has been raised.
backraise A reraise from a player that previously called in the same betting round.
- check-raise Deceptive play whereby a player initially checks with the intention of raising should another player bet.
- check To bet nothing.
- call To match a bet or raise.
- overcall To call a bet after others have called.
- hero call Calling when a player has a relatively weak hand but suspects their opponent may be bluffing.
- cold call To call an amount that represents a sum of bets or raises by more than one player.
- flat call, smooth call A call, in a situation where one might be expected to raise.
- all in When a player bets all of their chips in the current hand.
- coin flip A situation where two players have invested all their money in the pot and have a roughly even chance of winning.
- heads up Playing against a single opponent.